Style is such a personal thing. It’s a way to express and show who you are. However when it comes to fashion people can often struggle with how to wear and style certain things. While there is no right or wrong when it comes to fashion I’ve come up with a list of 10 fashion tips for those who may need a little direction.
So without further ado, here are my 10 fashion tips to live by:
- When in doubt where black – when you find yourself in a rush or with nothing to wear, you can never go wrong with black. Black looks good on every skin tone and goes with everything! Even another shade of black. Don’t be scared of the monochromatic look.
- Don’t be afraid to go outside your comfort zone – things always look different on. If you find a cute piece but don’t think it’s your style, try it on anyway. You never know what you could be missing out on.
- Be loyal to the pieces you already own – You might recall the frightening events of Lizzie McGuire when Kate calls her out for being an “outfit repeater”. Well forget her. Re-wear your favorite pieces and show them love. There are unlimited ways to style a single piece of clothing.
- Own at least one leopard-print piece – no, I promise you won’t look like a cougar. Leopard has been a staple pattern in the fashion world since forever. It adds a glamorous and sexy edge to any outfit.
- Get over your fear of bold colors – Bold and bright colors may seem intimidating at first but don’t be afraid to rock them. And don’t be afraid to wear them with other bold colors. Take a look at a color wheel and try mixing colors that are side by side. Bold colors make a statement, just try to avoid wearing bright colors with black.
- Dont buy things just because they’re on sale – if you’re not head over heels for that piece put it back. Not only is buying unnecessary pieces a waste of your money but it’s also harmful and wasteful to the environment. Instead of buying something that will only sit at the back of your closet, take care of the pieces you already own. Find new ways to spice them up.
- Less is always more – this is true in a couple scenarios. Buying less clothing is always better. Better for your wallet and better for the planet. This is also true in accessorizing and layering. You can make a statement with the accessories you wear but be careful not to overdo it. When wearing a statement necklace, opt for minimal earrings. The same goes for layering. It’s very easy to get carried away and overdo it. Remember “less is always more”
- Dress for your body, not your age – I hope to be rocking leggings and short shorts until the day I die. Don’t listen to anyone who says you’re too old to wear something.
- Sunglasses can be worn anything – day or night, summer or winter, rain or shine. Sunglasses are a key staple and can often tie an entire outfit together. Don’t be afraid to wear them in the “off seasons”
- Don’t underestimate the power of shoes – shoes can honestly make or break your outfit. People often forget that shoes are actually part of the outfit and not just something to protect your feet. Like in rule number one, if wearing an all black outfit, opt for a bright or statement shoe. And vice versa. Shoes are a built in accessory since you should hopefully be wearing them with every outfit but an accessory nonetheless.
I know this post is called “10 fashion tips to live by” but I’ve added a bonus tip just for you.
11. Don’t be afraid to break the rules – fashion is about expression. It’s about making an impression, it’s about being yourself. Wear what you want, how you want, when you want. These are simply guidelines I have found work for me and a general basic outline. You do you, girl.
And those are my *11* fashion rules to live by. What are some of your favorite fashion tips that have changed the way you dress? Let me know in the comments!